Kale is a difficult green to love, and though it’s become a super hip, trendy super food, I still prefer so many other greens. I love spinach, rocket, even watercress. But kale needs some getting used to. I really did enjoy this salad, though, and it was a big hit at our family dinner.
The recipe is from the one of the most highly-rated chefs in the world, Jean-Georges Vongerrichten. It’s a pretty simple, straightforward salad and one that you will find yourself making regularly.
- 12 oz kale leaves, large stems removed and sliced thin into ribbons
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 2 tsp pickle juice (from a bottle of pickled jalapeños)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups croutons
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp fresh juice and 1 tbsp zest from 2-3 lemons (I used limes)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes (or according to taste)
- 2 cups Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 3/4 cup neutral oil (such as sunflower)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
To make the dressing:
- Combine lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, garlic, mustard, egg yolk, chilli flakes and the cheese in the bowl of a food processor, or a regular bowl. Process until homogenous.
- With processor running, or with a hand blender, slowly drizzle neutral oil, stopping to scrape down sides if necessary until a smooth emulsion is formed, about 20 seconds.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in half cup of olive oil.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, while preparing the salad.
To make the croutons:
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and toss in the croutons. Toss and stir until golden brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, and season with salt and pepper.
Combine the kale, mint and 1/2 cup dressing (or according to taste), and the pickle juice. Toss to coat well and let sit for 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with croutons and sliced chillies. Serve immediately.