Curry Leaf Rice

Curry Leaves are very often used in Indian food. Sometimes, I’m not sure why. They add some flavor, but really, the dish tastes pretty much the same without adding the leaf too! Except in this wonderful rice that’s made of crushed curry leaves and spices. Curry leaves have a very subtle flavor, and this makes the rice mild and delicious.

Curry Leaf Rice

1/2 cup Curry Leaves
2 tbsp Channa Dal
2 tbsp Urad Dal
6 dried Red Chillies
Salt, to taste
2 cups Rice, cooked

Heat a pan and add the above ingredients. Keep stirring on a low heat until the lentils are golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool. Grind in a spice grinder to a coarse consistency. Toss thoroughly with the cooked rice. Serve hot.

Welcome back! πŸ™‚

I have lots of curry leaves at home now and should try this soon!

2. Asha says:

Looks so good, wish I had a Curry leaves tree. My mother had one once in her backyard.

3. bhagyashri says:

Great to see you back!

The rice sounds delicious yet so simple to make it. Will try it soon.

Hey, so goood to see you back here.
    I make a curry leaves powder which we have with hot rice and ghee. I know its good. πŸ™‚

5. Bhavani says:

I love curry leaf rice. I am so glad you posted the recipe. Great to see you back.

6. A_and_N says:

Welcome back!

I make do with Grand Sweets' thokku 😦 I could kill for this though!

7. Krishna says:

Hey read your post on Lotus. Planning to take a friend of mine there. And also surprising her with a cake at the end as her birthday is about four days later. nevertheless, i need some questions regarding the cost… And etc,… Can you give me your mail address or mail yours top mine.

Krishna.nm86@gmail.com!
    Sort of urgent!

@ Raaga – Do try it! I was certain you would be the first to comment – thank you for being such a dear friend!

@ Asha – I think curry leaves are pretty easy to grow at home. My husband had a plant when he was a bachelor and I'm sure he and his roomies didn't take care of it at all!

@ Bhagyashri – Thank you very much! Let me know how it turns out.

Aparna – Long time no hear!! Gonna try to be more regular!

Bhavani – πŸ™‚ Thank you. Do try it missie – when you get the “josh” πŸ˜‰

A&N – I love the GS thokkus too – try the onion chutney next time, its fantastic.

Krishna – Sorry couldn't email but the cost would be about Rs. 1500/- per person, not including dessert. Hope that helps.

Heyyyy, tried this today ..yum yum yum … thanks a million!!

Your cooking-challenged friend πŸ˜‰

10. Sangu says:

hi arundathi

i am so happy u are back. great to see the new recipes.

luv and hugs