Parmesan Walnut Bread

The first oven I bought was a little OTG (Oven Toaster Griller). It came with a booklet of recipes to be made in the free pan that came with it. I loved the OTG and tried almost all the recipes in that booklet! Surprisingly, every single one was a keeper. The first one was banana bread, that we loved. And I was hooked. Quick breads are fast, delicious and extremely versatile.

This is a wonderful quick bread that I came across at Mary’s blog, One Perfect Bite. She’s made three wonderful variations. I varied her walnut bread a little to include some freshly grated Parmesan. It was super quick and full of flavor.

Parmesan Walnut Bread
(Recipe adapted from One Perfect Bite)

2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2/3 cup Milk
1 large egg
3/4 cup Sugar
1 1/2 cups Walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated

Preheat oven to 160 deg C. Grease and flour a loaf pan.

Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and egg. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

Stir in walnuts and parmesan. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Increase the temperature to 180 deg C and continue baking for a further 15 minutes.

Mary recommends letting it rest for 15 minutes and then allowing it to age 24 hours before serving. I did the first 15 minutes. And then another 15 minutes! There was no way I could wait for 24 hours to eat anything that smells as good as this bread!

Other quick breads on this blog: Banana Bread, Chocolate Banana Bread and Mango Bread.

1. jayasree says:

Lovely crust with spongy inside. Can see so many nuts in one slice. Perfect bake.

2. Curry Leaf says:

Looks lovely and perfect.So many nuts.Did you make this in the same OTG ? I too have one and am yet to master its handling! maybe I am not cutout for it?!

3. Archana says:

I have a OTG. A quick question – I find my buns gettng baked in 7 mins, when the recipe calls for 15 mins on a conventional MW. Is this common in a OTG? Does it bake things faster, or is something wrong with mine? Btw, Have been a regular here and have you on my blog roll as well! Great bread!

4. Oh wow….that's an soft and simple bread……looks yum…

What perfect slices! anything with parmesan is good in my book:)

Gorgeous bread, Anu!

7. parmesan and walnuts together? that sure sounds like an intersting combi!!
    as always, ur pictures are great! the bread looks evenly baked and neatly sliced!:D
    mandira

8. DK says:

I have made a whole wheat walnut bread with yeast though..walnuts r my fav. Looks yum anu!

9. Jayashree says:

Looks delicious, Anu….

Love the addition of walnuts. Texture looks too good.

11. Prathibha says:

What lovely bread..looks yummy

True, quick breads are quick but that doesn't mean they aren't good.
    This one looks perfect.

Btw, your mango bread inspired me to make mango muffins.
    Btw, mangoes are almost on their way out but I can now find reasonably good ones for Rs. 80/ kg.

13. Parita says:

Perfect bread arundhati, looks fantastic!

14. Jaya Wagle says:

Love the bread, love the blog, love your writing. 🙂
    Came here through SNSBakes.

15. Information says:

Great and interesting

16. I ♥ that loaf! Great combination !!

17. Awesome Arundhati and what timing…just made some walnut povitica myself 🙂

18. wow tht looks yummy…..looks like a perfectly baked bread……love the walnuts in it

19. Cheese India says:

Surely no one would let it ripe for 24 hrs. I believe the aroma would brainwash the cook to have it right away.

long time no see! i wanted to ask you which oven you are using. i saw the pics in one of your posts (forgot which one!) 🙂

Thanks everyone!!

@ Curry Leaf – Yup same OTG

@ Archana – Hmm. I would lower the temperature and let it bake the required time.

@ Nags – I use a Morphy Richards OTG

It was certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

It is certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).

By the way, use Bluetooth blocker to jam all spy devices in your home or at work.