Beetroot Rasam

One of my favorite blogs is Lisa’s Kitchen. Her recipes are simple, vegetarian and always delicious – right up my alley! When her blog was chosen for last month’s Tried & Tasted, I bookmarked this recipe, but life got in the way and though I made the rasam, I didn’t get a chance to write or post about it.

Rasam and rice is my all-time favorite comfort food. It is a south Indian dish made with lentils, pepper and spices, and usually gets its tartness from tomatoes (unlike sambar, which tends to use more tamarind). It is a fluid soup-like dish that is traditionally served with rice, but a lot of people drink it as soup as well. The Anglo-Indian version of Rasam is the famous soup, Mulligatawny (which is actually a combination of the Tamil words milagu (pepper) and thani (water)).

There are many different variations of rasam. My favorite is the tomato, but other popular ones are lemon rasam and pepper rasam (pepper rasam does wonders in clearing up sinuses!). But I think I might have a new favorite!

The beetroot rasam was so delicious, though, that I simply had to post it – even though the event is over. The taste was light and full of flavor and the color is just brilliant! She got the recipe from Chandra Padmanabhan’s Dakshin, which is one of my favorite cookbooks, and the only one I had through all my years living away from home.

I’m not posting the recipe here, but I do hope you’ll visit Lisa’s blog and try this out.

Other rasams on this blog: Mysore Rasam.

Advertisements

1. co-incidentally we had beetroot rasam for lunch today – while your pic makes it seem like the rasam actually has beetroot in it, i make mine differently – here’s how

everytime we make beetroot poriyal or vada or salad (anything that requires the veggie to be cooked in some water) we add that water to the rasam of the day – voila, beetroot rasam!

will go check out the recipe at lisa’s blog

there are so many different types of rasam i want to try but ending up making the same old pepper or tomato rasam when i do 😦

3. I too crossed this rasam in her blog…..looks yummy….

4. Curry Leaf says:

Lovely.I love beet rasam.This looks too tempting

5. I first had this at a friends place when she set the table I was curious to know what that was, when she told me it ws beets rasam I was impressed and I did like it very much… Amazing color and it should taste really great there…

6. Jamie says:

Arundathi, the color is amazing. Wonderful post πŸ™‚

7. Suparna says:

Hi Arundathi,
    I too made the same from her blog….oooooooooooooo me and hubby freaked out on it. Will post it sometime in t&t.The snap looks amazing as the dish itself.
    TC

8. A_and_N says:

I’ve been wanting to try this, but I’m sorta hesitant, dunno why.

We are doing the Anadama this weekend. Paakalaam, how it goes!

9. Indhu says:

looks yummy.. love the colour πŸ™‚

10. Lisa says:

Thanks for your kind words! I’m so glad you got a chance to try this dish. Your photos are just gorgeous!

11. Superchef says:

yummy rasam! im defenitely off to Lisa’s blog for the recipe and i should get Dakshin, I have the book Southern Spices by CP but not Dakshin!

Beet rasam looks great and gorgeous!

<>Thanks everyone.

Magical Summer – that's a great idea! thanks.

A&N – Good Luck πŸ™‚

Lisa – Thank you for a wonderful recipe!

Superchef – I have SS too but Dakshin is far better, in my opinion.

This one is really unique! I am really intrigued and have to look at the recipe right now!

15. I haven’t heard of rasam before so I was intrigued to read all about it! It sounds delicious and flavourful! πŸ™‚

16. Nupur says:

That rasam looks vibrant and delicious!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog to say hello, Arundathi πŸ™‚

17. Holler says:

I really do love Lisa’s recipes and this one looks like a keeper! Beautiful colour!

Oh and while I am here….. I have bestowed an award to you. You can collect it over at < HREF="http://www.tinnedtomatoes.com" REL="nofollow">Tinned Tomatoes<>

18. meeso says:

The rasam turns that rice such a beautiful color!

<>Sunshinemom – I hope you enjoyed it.

Lorraine – Oh I should’ve written more about rasam and its origins! Or atleast incl a wiki link – will amend the post! Thanks!

Nupur – It’s good to see you posting again!

Holler – Oh thank you!! Will head over right now

meeso – Isn’t the color lovely? My daughter thought it was cool that she had pink rice!

20. Jude says:

Gotta admit that rasams are completely new to me. Will check out your links to find out more about it!

That is a different recipe! And congrats on your 100th post milestone!

<>Jude – I’ve modified the post to include a little write-up about rasams! I hope that helps!

23. I just love the color. Looks like there are so many other types of rasams.

<>Divya Vikram – Thanks so much!

Veggie Food Journal – Yes, there are tons of rasams out there!