Mango Bread

Mangoes are back in season! Woohoo! The downside is that this means that summer’s here in full force – in April! At an average temperature of 95 deg F, Madras is way way too hot! But… you can’t be really too frustrated with the heat when you have gorgeous juicy mangoes to fill you up!

Is there anything better than mangoes with vanilla ice cream? Well, maybe this mango bread! Have you ever visited Joy the Baker? Her blog is absolutely incredible with beautiful photographs. Do take a look, if you haven’t already.

This recipe was inspired by her Mango Lime Bread. I made a few changes. Actually, quite a few changes – I omitted the ginger and apples and added walnuts instead. It was simply an amazing bread!

Mango Bread

2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3 Eggs
3/4 cup Oil (try to use a flavor-less oil, like Safflower)
1 1/4 cup Mango pieces (I had to chop up about 1 1/2 mangoes)
3/4 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Crumble in the brown sugar. Add the wet ingredients (oil and eggs). Mix till fully combined. This might be a little difficult but keep stirring and it will come together. Fold in the mango, raisins and walnuts.

Transfer the dough to a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Turn loaf out from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. Enjoy the wonderful smell in your kitchen!

It does sound delicious Arundathi. It would probably work with those mango canned purees, don’t you think..

2. Looks so good, I have never thought of mangoes in bread!

3. Looks so good, I have never thought of mangoes in bread!

4. A_and_N says:

Oh! A’s bookmarked this and is waiting for mangoes to arrive here!

I love Joy too. Have you tried her Buttermilk Pie? Just try it once, Arundati. It is very rich, but I swear I haven’t eaten anything quite like it 🙂

5. Prathibha says:

Mango bread is looking yummy..will try definitely in this mango season..

6. Wow mango and that too in bread…Yummy…..

<>Thanks everyone.
    Bharti – I'm sure it'll work with the canned variety.

Susan – Neither had I, but what a great idea!

A&N – Am off to check it out as soon as I finish this comment! 🙂

Prathibha, Kitchen Flavours – Thanks!

Hi Arundathi,

Neat blog you have! What can I replace the eggs with?

Thanks,
    Rev

Gorgeous bread, wat a flavoursome bread na!

10. Asha says:

Gorgeous bread, look at that peak on top. Perfectly baked and with Mango too. Slurp! 🙂

11. DEESHA says:

mango bread with walnuts, thatz yumm

12. Happy cook says:

My Woohoo! is for not getting delicous mangoes here.
    The bread looks yummy delicous and perfect.

13. I love German breads, they are small and heavy… Yours look just like that… and Mangoes to that is a good variation…

14. Suparna says:

Hi Arundathi,
    Mango bread sounds so festive and yummm…love banana bread …reads like it making this one falls in the same category, thanks for the lvly link and recipe…I’ll make this for sure…marked this one.
    Pls. collect the award from my blog dear…I’ll be glad if u would.
    TC

well thats lovely anu…nice one and I was thinking in terms of seeing a yellow or orange coloured cake..:)

<>Thanks Everyone!

Rev – I think you might be able to replace the eggs with buttermilk or yogurt, though I haven’t tried that myself.

Suparna – Thanks. Will collect it!

17. Dragon says:

I love your creativity! This is a gorgeous cake.

18. Priti says:

Looks so yummy…mango bread! Name itself makes me drool…bookmarked it

19. bee says:

what delicious flavours!!! i love the idea of adding mango to bread – to anything, in fact.

20. Holler says:

Mmmmm, that does look good!

21. traderjanki says:

yum, how delicious! i would have never thought of mango bread.

<>Dragon – Thanks

Priti – Hope you do make it

Bee – Yes the flavors were really super. Loved the crumb too!

Holler – Thanks 🙂

Traderjanki – Yes, it is quite delicious! Thanks

I made a similar mango bread a while ago! Love the addition of lime! Lovely brown hue it has!

<>Divya Vikram – I didn’t add the lime, but next time I think I might stick to the recipe to taste the different flavors of the lime and apple. I loved this one though – it was delicious.

25. mango bread?? wow, the very idea! i think i’ll go get myself an otg, just so i can try some of the goodies you bake up with such regularity – any suggestions as to which one i can buy?

26. Kevin says:

That mango bread looks great! I like the addition of the nuts.

27. Jude says:

Yummy looking bread. Still trying my luck at finding a source for Alphonso mangoes 😦

28. mandira says:

this is very intersting… i hv seen banana bread, carrot bread/cake… but nvr mango bread.. i mean i wud never have even though you cud do a bread with mangoes!! fabulous stuff!!

<>Magicalsummer – I have a Morphy Richards that’s very nice. But I hear that Sunflame is good too.

Kevin – Thanks

Jude – Hmm. Have you tried an online source?

Mandira – It really was quite superb. Try it! 🙂

30. Bev says:

Why are there two sugars in the list?It confused me a bit. Does this really use whole wheat flour without any other kind mixed?
    thanks. 🙂