Spicy Chutney Bread

My mother-in-law would make this very often for her kids when they came home hungry from school. My husband, eating this the other day, was feeling so nostalgic about it that I simply had to try it. Its a delicious, quick-fix snack for kids and adults alike.

Spicy Chutney Bread

6 slices Sandwich Bread

For the chutney:
1 tbsp grated Coconut
1/4 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp roasted Channa Dal/ Gram Dal (Pottu Kadalai in Tamil)
1 pinch Chilli Powder
1 pinch Turmeric Powder
1/4 tsp Fennel (Saunf)
1 clove Garlic
Salt, to taste

Grind the ingredients for the chutney with a little bit of water. The chutney should be of a spread-able consistency (similar to soft butter). Spread the chutney on both sides of the slices of bread.

Heat a saute pan with a little bit of butter. When heated, put the bread on the pan, two slices at a time. Allow it to brown and then turn over and brown both sides. Serve warm.

Your kids will love it (and make sure they’re not looking when you sneak a couple of bites!).

Check out what my fellow marathoners are up to:
DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna and Roochi.

1. Suganya says:

How I wish I could dunk this bread into a bowl of hot tomato soup.

Hi, I’m new to to your blog and love it.You make it seem very easy to try the recipes, so it’s very exciting to read.(Also lived in the Bay Area. Did you ever try the Thai restaurant ‘My Thai’? Absolutely the best. )I got your site thru Google becuause I was looking for Bamboo steamers. Can you tell me where you got yours from? And how do we email you or get in touch with you? Thanks in advance.Rajrrajj_in_india@yahoo.com

Wow wonderful..love the ingredients in the chutney..looks awesome..i have tagged u for a good cause, pls check it out…

A nice diversion to the usual sandwich spread! This is a little similar to the chutney some of the vada pav vendors here smear inside the pav, and it tastes good – but I have not tried it at home. Must check!

5. Happy cook says:

Looks so nice and the thought that it ismade from chutney makes me drool

6. Nice one !! You should send it to the Sunday Snacks – Fix It event if interested in participating…

7. Curry Leaf says:

Love the chutney bread and yes I will tuck in a few bites warm from the pan.I love this and also chutney sandwiches.

8. Soma says:

A wonderful idea. Great for adults too:-)

9. Its tiring to have the same breakfast in the morning this seems quiet a type and a nice variation to it with sugar and coconut…

10. Very interesting! Never heard of this one.But very innovative indeed. Will give it a try as soon as I make the chutney

<> @ Suganya – that does sound delicious!@ Raj – Thanks for stopping by. Nope – haven’t tried My Thai – thanks for the recommendation. I did get the bamboo steamers here in Currimbhoys in Adyar. Good Luck.@ Priya – Will check it out. thanks.@ Sunshinemom – oh thats interesting – never noticed the chutney in the vada pav! @ Happy Cook – thanks@ Pallavi-foodblog – Sure, I’ll check it out.@ Curry Leaf – Yup, I love chutney sandwiches too! @ Soma – yes, maybe more so by adults! 😉@Ramya Vijaykumar – Its definitely nice to change that breakfast monotony@Srimathi – Do try it and let me know what you think.<>

12. Divya Kudua says:

Hmmm..I would love to have those when I fell like snack-bingeing..yummy!!

13. Medhaa says:

this is a nice recipe, the chutney is different will try soon

14. Madhu says:

We ususally spread chutney on toasted bread, something new and yummy toast, I so want to try this.

15. Holler says:

I would never have thought of doing something like this! What a good idea and I bet it would be good on crusty bread too, if it was put in the oven instead.

Yummy..love recipes like that bring back childhood memories.

<>Divya Kudua – more like a small meal than a snack!Medhaa – SureMadhu – Do let me know how it turned outHoller – Super idea! maybe some french or italian bread, baked with some foil around it. delicious!Bharti – never had stuff like this as a kid. must ask my mum why!<>