Spicy Eggplant

I am so not an eggplant fan. I was scarred early in life when the only eggplant I got to see resembled something like monster road-kill – squishy, purple with little seeds that resembled lots of eyes (now I’m betting you won’t be able to get that image out of your head the next time you see eggplant cooked to death!).

My mother, in her effort to get me to eat the vegetable, tried lots of different recipes. And this is the only one I’ve ever liked. So just to be able to help those who also cannot eat the stuff, here’s some hope!

Spicy Eggplant

1 pound small Eggplants

For the spice powder:
1/4 cup Bengal Gram (kadalai paruppu)
3 dried Red Chillies
1 tbsp Urad Dal
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Fenugreek
1 tsp Oil
Salt, to taste

Take the stems off the eggplant and chop them up into small cubes. Cook until almost done (just tender). Drain well. Keep aside on paper towels to absorb moisture.

Heat the oil in a pan and add all the ingredients for the spice powder. Roast the spices and lentils until golden and fragrant. Grind the roasted ingredients in a spice or coffee blender until coarsely ground.

Heat a tiny bit of oil in the pan and add the cooked eggplant. Toss a couple of times and let it absorb the oil and heat – about 2-3 minutes. Add the ground spice powder and salt and toss to combine and let it heat through (another couple of minutes).

Remove from heat. Enjoy.

The recipe marathoners are running strong:
DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna and Roochi.

Exactly my sentiments!! This is a the best it can get:) I too cannot eat eggplant unless it bharta or the curry kind – same as this but with a little of sambar powder:)

That curry looks fab!I HEART eggplants, this is a great recipe…would go great with rice and piping hot rasam! I’m giving it a shot:))

3. Curry Leaf says:

I to make it bit similar.My spice powder doe not have bengal gram.Will add and see how it tastes .Looks spicy and inviting

4. my mom make s the sameway love to have this with curd rice mmm yummyrecipe

Looks delicious, prefect with sambar sadham..

Monster road kill is one way to describe it.:)As weird as this sounds, I eat eggplant only when I cook it for the same reason. I like my eggplant cooked just so. And the only mushy versions I’ll have is as bharta or pachadi.

7. Holler says:

Yeah, thanks a lot for that image Arundathi! It will definitely stick with me know. I can still get past it and say this is a tasty sounding dish 🙂

8. Happy cook says:

Ih yeah me too am not a eggplant fan, although i do enjoy them, just not my favourite.If i had this i am sure i would enjoy them.

9. raaji says:

haaha that was so funny.how could u imagine that ….funny…killing it to death with cooking!!

Yeah..same here. The only kind I like is Muttabal or bharta. I can imagine the fragrant spices smell though..yum.

11. Madhu says:

Like the spices U used for making this,looks delish. I love eggplants..I have one more recipe to try…

12. mmm, Eggplant are looking perfect and should taste great with pulavs and rice…

13. Medhaa says:

this sure looks spicy and nice

14. Siri says:

Eggplant is one of my favorite veggies Anu and I love this curry. the spice powder is so handy na..:) Lovely pic.Hugs,Siri

15. i adore eggplant in all ways particularly mashed with asofoetida, and so I know I would love this.

my mom in law made this during her visit but i still prefer the simpler version with onions and nallennai, that i posted 😉

17. karuna says:

eggplant looks hot and spicy

18. Vij says:

Yummy post! eggplant looks spicy..perfect colour!

Sunshinemom – didn’t realize so many ppl felt this way! sambar powder is a great idea!Ranjani – Enjoy!Curry Leaf – ThanksRekhas Kitchen – ThanksPriya – Yup – goes with pretty much anything!Aparna – I can’t stand bharta because its so squishy – maybe i should try it!Holler – Thanks 🙂 and sorry to instill that image in your mind!Happy Cook – 🙂 Try it – i’m sure you’ll like it tooRaaji – As long as its dead, eggplant can’t be much fun!Bharti – Glad to know so many ppl join me in my dislike for this veggie.Madhu – 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!Ramya – Yup – tastes good with pretty much anythingMedhaa – thanksSiri – Yup – its a great spice powder – tastes super with just about any vegetableMaybelle’s Mom – Super! Do try it!Nags – Will check yours outKaruna – yes, it is pretty spicyVij – Thanks

20. lakshmi says:

eggplants were monstrous to me once upon a time, not anymore 🙂 – its like chow chow you see

21. Ramya says:

Yummy! Pls check out YAAT post at my blog!I have something for you…

22. Bhawana says:

yuuuuuuuuuumy egg plant recipe.

23. Sophie says:

WOW (impressed look). Your eggplant dish looks so yummy.

Here I bought a sauce pack for Sauce for Spicy Garlic Egg-plant so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.

@ Lakshmi – Yes, I totally understand!

@ Ramya – Will do. Thanks.

Bhawana – Thanks

@ Sophie – Do let me know how it turned out.

25. Joy says:

I checked out the Sweet and Simple Bakes site. I love it, it has such a large number of baking recipes, and since I'm primarily a baker, it's like heaven