Egg Curry

We had some friends over for dinner the other night and I wanted to make something that the vegetarians and the definitely-not-vegetarians would both enjoy. The usual egg curry is great and everyone enjoys it, but this time I tried something different which was actually more appreciated than the usual.

Egg Curry

For the eggs:

5 Eggs
2 large Onions, chopped fine
1 Green Chilli, chopped fine
2-3 Curry Leaves, chopped fine
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
3 tbsp ground coconut
1 tbsp Rice Flour

Combine all the above ingredients and beat very well. Pour the mixture, a ladle at a time, into a heated Aebleskiver pan (kuzhi paniyaram pan).

Let the mixture cook for a few minutes and then turn over and cook for a few more minutes until done. Keep aside.

For the curry:

2 + 1 Onions, chopped
2 + 1 Tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
4 tbsp Coriander Powder
2 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 pinch Turmeric Powder

tempering: 1/4 tsp each cinnamon powder, cloves, curry leaves, mustard seeds, fenugreek and urad dal.

Grind together 1 tomato and 1 onion and set aside.

Heat the oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients. When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the chopped tomato and onion and saute very well until soft and browned. Add the ground tomato and onion and saute again well until absorbed and soft. Add the rest of the ingredients for the curry and about 2 cups water. Let it come to a boil over medium-low heat until well combined and starting to thicken and reduce.

Add the cooked egg and salt and let it cook together for 5-7 minutes. For a richer flavor, you could add 1-2 tbsp coconut milk. Serve with rice.

I think this kind of Indian curry is better than the ones with the boiled eggs because the eggs soak up the flavor of the curry and have lots of flavor of their own as well. A little time consuming but well worth the effort.

Who would’ve thought that we’d have 26 marathoners running this time. Amazing. Check them out at:
DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna and Roochi.

Woww wat a great work arundathi…awesome..delicious egg curry as though…

This looks phenomenal!I’m always on the look out for new egg curry recipes! I’m trying this tonight, will give you the verdict:)

Darn..I need to get me one of those pans:( going to hunt now!

4. Happy cook says:

Really clever to use that special pan, i was thinking how you got that shape untill i read the it.Looks really yumm.

5. Wow, I like the idea of making the eggs I usually think its time consuming but awesome job…

6. Medhaa says:

This is new way for me, looks yumm

7. Madhu says:

Very new and innovative, I don’t eat eggs, My hubbys loves them. Good recipe to try for him. Wel done Anu.

8. karuna says:

i make egg curry too, but dont doanythng to the eggs just boil them. i like ure version. will try it soon. have book marked it.

9. Siri says:

thats a really nice idea Anu..:) and simple too! Thanks..:DHugs,Siri

10. TBC says:

That’s a very nice use of the pan. Almost everyone seems to be having one.:)That is a nice change from the usual egg curry. Don’t the eggs turn kinda rubbery though?

11. Cynthia says:

Wow, this is definitely an interesting way to do the eggs to make egg curry. I got to get me one of those special pans like you have! Fantastic!

I’m always looking out for new ways to make egg… this one is great!

13. Bhawana says:

yuuuummmmy egg curry Anu. you showed a nice idea of making egg curry. delicious.

14. lakshmi says:

ableskiwer pan – i learnt a new word today 😀 LOL – you know eggs and i are not on talking terms – if only they came without the yolks!

15. Vij says:

HiyaThis is my first time here. U have a lovely space.Curry looks so yummy! very innovative one. 🙂Do have a look at my blog!Happy blogging!Cheers

16. aree whaa great idea looks different bookmarked

what an innovative idea anu…we can use the paniyaram pan also right?..will try it next time!

Priya – ThanksRanjani – its a kuzhi paniyaram pan. you might even be able to get it an at indian store. do try it.happy cook – thanks. ramya vijaykumar – not time consuming at all – its just like making mini omelettes.medhaa – thanksmadhu – i hope your husband enjoys them.karuna – yup, i used to just boil them too – this is nicer so that you dont have to eat the whites and yellows separetely.siri – sure, you’re welcome.tbc – actually they don’t – depends on how long you cook it – make sure you don’t overcook them. and when you put it in the curry, it absorbs it, so its quite soft.cynthia – thanks – the pans are available on amazon or most gourmet stores.raaga – thanks!bhawana – thank youlakshmi – you could try making this with just egg whites, it should work too.vij – will definitely stop by and welcome!rekhas kitchen – thankssrivalli – it IS a paniyaram pan. i’ll amend the post – thanks.

19. Lisa says:

I can’t imagine anyone who likes eggs not enjoying this. I will have to try this, as I eat eggs virtually everyday. Great recipe.

20. Nirmala says:

Thats looks fantastic. and I don’t think I can preserve the egg-cakes until I make the curry. They sound delicious on their own.

This is such a nice idea. I don’t have a kuzhi paniyaram pan yet but trying to get mom-in-law to send one from India soon 🙂

22. Roochi says:

This is a superb idea… i like it

Lisa – I love eggs too! I hope you enjoy this!Nirmala – lol – it tastes even better in the curry!Nags – Do get one – its a huge time-saverRoochi – thanks!

24. arundati says:

oh!! this is so neat… i wonder when i missed seeing this post…. clever… am going to do this next time!!

hi,
    just stummbled upon your blog…what a brilliant idea to make eggs…i was bored with my usual egg curry…willtry it out today…thanks for sharing this lovely recipe!!
    jes

@ Arundati – Do let me know how it turns out.

@ Anonymous/ jes – Thanks. Hope it turned out well.

Interesting story you got here. It would be great to read a bit more concerning this theme. Thnx for sharing that info.