Pani Puri

Pani Puri is a favorite street food in India. In lots of “chaat” stalls around the cities, you can see people standing around carts popping little pieces of deliciousness into their mouths! This is my absolute favorite Indian snack (well…um… okay One of the many!).

It consists of 3-4 components – a deep fried puri, a sweet chutney, a spicy chutney and a stuffing for the puri. You first make a little hole in the puri, add a teaspoon of the stuffing, add a spoonful of each stuffing and pop it in your mouth before everything starts falling out! Its fun to eat!

Pani Puri
(recipe from Bhavani @ Snap Eat Burp)

Sweet Chutney

100 g Dates, boiled
1 marble-sized ball of Tamarind
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 pinch Black Pepper
1 pinch Salt

Grind all ingredients together in a food process and keep aside.

Spicy Chutney

1 cup Cilantro Leaves
1/2 cup Mint Leaves
5 Green Chillies, coarsely chopped
4 cups Water
2 Cloves
1 small Cinnamon Stick
2 Cardamom
1 tsp Cumin Powder
3 tbsp Jal Jeera Powder (available in most Indian grocery stores)

Grind the cilantro, mint and green chillies together with the water and salt.
Roast the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and cumin on a medium heat in a saucepan. Grind to a fine powder.
Mix the roasted and ground spices and the jal jeera powder with the ground cilantro mixture.

Stuffing for the Puri

1/2 cup Green Moong Dal/ Green Lentils, soaked in water until tender
1/2 cup Garbanzo Beans/ Kabuli Channa, soaked in water and then boiled
5 small Potatoes, peeled and boiled
3 tbsp Channa Masala (available in all Indian grocery stores)

Combine all ingredients together with a little salt to taste.

Puris

2 packets Puris (available in some Indian grocery stores)

OR

you could make your own puris. Priya @ Food for Bliss has a lovely recipe for making your own puris at home. She has some great photos of the pani puri too!

To Eat:

Hi I love going through your blog….nice recipies!But this one.. Pani Puri is incomplete without Jal-Jeera 😦

you’re right, of course. I seem to have left it out – I’ve amended the post. Thanks for pointing it out!

3. Happy cook says:

Crush the top of the puri a bit. Stuff the puris with the veggie stuffing, add a little bit of the sweet chutney, dip into the spicy chutney and eat in one bite. Enjoy!I am imagining doing all these. They just looks superbly delicious.DROOL DROOL

4. DEESHA says:

yummy yummy .. its been ages since i ate pani puri ..

I’m soooo hungry now, I’ve been dreaming of eating aloo tikki chaat, and gol gappas for the past 3 nights..this post is now pure torture:(Looks sooo good…crave crave!That’s it, I’m making chaat tonight too!

6. Mansi says:

Hi arundhati – pani puri looks lovely!as for the other issue, I apologize for the mistake, I am in the process of rectifying it right now!

7. anudivya says:

I have been looking for the sweet and hot chutneys recipes… perfect! I am bookmarking it, might end up with a huge bowl of it this weekend.

Looks perfect..I am waiting for our Indian trip to have these beauties..

oh man…! I agree with Ranjini..this is pure torture. Looks awesome.

Happy cook – πŸ™‚ I hope you enjoyed the “virtual chaat”!Deesha – Thanks! πŸ™‚ Ranjani – πŸ™‚ Wish I could send some over, babe!Mansi – Thanks Mansi for the prompt action.Anudivya – Enjoy!Divya Vikram – I hope we can meet up when you’re here!Bharti – Wish I could send it over to you too!

11. Vanamala says:

hi Panipuri looks lovely…

12. Bhavani says:

hey hey :):) nice to see the recipe on your blog :):) got me remembering our chaat party. πŸ™‚

Vanamala – thanks!Bhavani – πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ just had to post it for you – such a fantastic recipe! can’t wait for you to get here and we can have a chennai chaat party!

just realised that i have been bookmarking practically every recipe that you come up with of late. so instead, decided to just to come over when i am in the mood to try something new.

Your version looks great esp. the khata meetha paani! My all time favourite – low calorie yet tasty!

Am drooling on ur panipuri…love them like anything…tempting me a lot..

17. Vidhya says:

I love pani puri and your recipe looks really neat. Thanks for sharing.

18. Vidhya says:

Btw r u interested in foodbuzz publisher program? if yes just mail me at viyer79@gmail.com

Nags – Come over anytime!Sunshinemom – Hmm Low calorie – you’re right! we should promote pani puri as diet food! πŸ™‚Priya – Uh oh – I know abt those chaat cravings – I hope you get to eat it soon!Vidhya – Thanks for stopping by. I am a member of foodbuzz – thanks!

That of course looks great…

yeah chaat always looks fabulous huh? πŸ™‚

22. Jude says:

So this is what those things are called. I thought pani puri was the rice krispy-like snack.

23. TBC says:

Yay! pani puri- it was one of my fav street foods when I lived in Bombay. BTW, is there an e-mail address I could reach u at? Saw something just now and this does not seem an appropriate place to mention it…

24. Mallika says:

Looks too good. I have to say Pani Puri is the BEST on the roadside. Sadly my tummy can’t uite stomach that any more.

Jude – those are called bhel puri…TBC – have emailed youMallika – yes it definitely does taste by the roadside and from the street carts!