Sara’s Brownies

A dear friend, Sara, recently had a baby. She had gestational diabetes which meant she couldn’t have any sugar for over 8 months, while she was pregnant. When I went to visit her and her beautiful baby, she had baked up a storm of brownies and cakes!

I begged her for her brownie recipe and made it on the weekend. It was ooey, gooey and completely decadent. She couldn’t find baking chocolate and had substituted the cocoa and butter mixture.

Sara’s Brownies

4 Eggs
A pinch of salt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Caster Sugar
1 cup All-Purpose Flour + 1/4 tsp Baking Powder, sifted together
12 tbsp Cocoa, sifted + 4 tbsp Butter
1/2 cup Butter
100 g Walnuts

Preheat oven to 180 deg C.

Beat the eggs, salt, vanilla together. Add the cocoa and 4 tbsp butter and beat together. Now mix in the rest of the butter and beat well.

Fold in sugar, flour and baking powder and walnuts. Pour the entire thing into a buttered tray and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

they look decadent indeed ๐Ÿ™‚

2. arundati says:

oh god!! (said with a completely exaggerated tone) i haven’t in ages….and this isnt what i should be looking at…they look fabulous….and just for the asking….a new mother actually had the time/ energy to bake?? Superwoman…pls pass on my compliments…

3. arundati says:

i meant i havent baked in ages….

4. Looks decadent! I’m going to have to try this one. ๐Ÿ˜€

Amazing brownies they r..deliciousssssss!!!

6. Alexa says:

Great looking brownies! Your description and pictures makes me want to bake a batch…

7. Priyanka says:

brownies look pretty tempting…definitely look oeey, gooey and decadent

hi arundhati is that sara veteth ? if yes didnt know she made such yummy stuff

nags – ๐Ÿ™‚Arundati – hmm she got lots of help plus after being deprived of sugar for 9 months, i guess i’d get me some brownies too!Shaheen – do try itPriya – thanks Alexa – Go on, bake some!Priyanka – They are!Anon – do leave a name next time.

Haha..I remember after a week of coming home and dealing with colic n all the good stuff, I took sanctuary in the kitchen baking up cookies for the guests. They thought I was nuts for having the energy, but it was break from changing the diapers! The brownies look decadent, serious teaser. Haven’t been to the gym since a month now. For now I’m getting my chocolate fix from dark chocolate.

11. Mansi says:

after not eating brownies for such a long time, anythign would taste good, and these are trully delicious! send some over Arundhati, so I can vouch for them:)

12. Holler says:

These look so good, I am taking a note of this right now! Boy, am I going to be popular when I make these ๐Ÿ™‚

13. WOW…YAY for Sara. What great great brownies. I don't think I came home & baked anything after I had my daughter!! These are truly delicious Arundhati…:0)

Bharti – When I read your comment, I actually had to go eat a piece of dark chocolate! lol! Mansi – ๐Ÿ™‚ sending some right now!Holler – LOL! Yes, you’ll probably need to fight off the neighbours!Passionate – I didn’t bake either, but think I might do it now – what a great way to relax and eat some yummy stuff!

15. mitr_bayarea says:

I love brownies and these ones look so moist and yummy, can also add some walnuts for a crunchier taste.

16. Great looking brownies…

I love brownies and I bake them like this with cocoa powder and butter.Makes me feel less guilty since I’m not using chocolate. ๐Ÿ˜€

18. Radhika says:

hi,I am relatively new to baking and suppose I only have microwave and not an oven how would you suggest I make these?

Beautiful brownies – they look perfectly made!

Mitr_bayarea – These have walnuts actually.Ramya – Thanks.Aparna – lol – i was thinking the opposite – i’d rather see the chocolate than all that butter!Radhika – Hmm. You need an oven to make these. Though maybe if you look around, you could find a recipe for m/w brownies. Sunshinemom – Thanks.

21. Divya Kudua says:

Truly ooey gooey brownies Arundhathi..!!

Thats super tempting Anu!

Divya Kudua – Thank you!Srivalli – Thanks!

24. Madhuram says:

Hi Arundathi, how have you been? It’s long time since I visited your blog. Somehow caught up.Of course these brownies look very good. Recently I also baked brownies, but in a muffin tin for a change and was amazed by the results. It has a neat look and also low maintenance, no need for waiting for it cool, then to cut etc.

Madhu – haven’t heard from you in a while!! good to see you! the muffin tins are a great idea! thanks!

26. Kirsty says:

I lurve you, Sara & Arundathi!