Whole Wheat Pancakes

I first saw this post on Arundati’s blog, Escapades, and I told myself I should make this. I wasn’t sure though since any whole wheat pancakes I’ve attempted (with eggs) have been tough and not-so-nice.

Then I saw it on Divya’s blog, Dil Se. It was time to stop procrastinating and make it already. So I made them and they were light and fluffy and lovely. We had them drizzled with maple syrup. This picture is off to Click: June (Stacks).

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Buttermilk

The only thing I did different was leaving out the cinnamon and reducing the sugar from 2 tbsp. Mix the dry ingredients together and then add the buttermilk. Mix until combined and leave covered for 10-15 minutes.

Heat a pan on low heat. If a drop of the dough dances on the pan, its hot enough. Drop about a quarter cup (or less) at a time onto the pan. When little bubbles begin to form on top, flip it over for a minute until browned. I made tiny dollar pancakes.

Thanks, Arundati for a fantastic recipe. My faith in whole wheat pancakes is restored!

This is off to dear Sunshinemom for FIC: Brown. Its egg-free just for you!

Yummy..looks delicious with maple syrup, really tempting..

2. Priyanka says:

Healrhy and sweet….pancakes look great

3. bee says:

it’s humongous amounts of baking soda that put me off pancakes. this one’s awesome. buckwheat may be even better. love the pics.

Ah yes, I make this too..its delicious.

is buttermilk vegan? this is the simplest recipe i have seen for pancakes

Priya – Thanks!Priyanka – Thank youBee – thank you – yes i think even in this recipe, i might reduce it next time. don’t get buckwheat here, but yes it should work well.Bharti – yup they areNags – OMG – thanks for pointing that out! Will change the title! πŸ™‚

7. Syrie says:

I’ve been wanting to try something like this for a while. It’s great to see that something healthy can also be a sweet treat. Looks great.

8. The buttermilk probably keeps these tender and light and fluffy. The maple syrup is a great additon as well:D

They were too delicious rite..I am making these often nowadays..A quick breakfast fix.

10. raaji says:

vow arundath!!!!!!those pancakes looks just like the Denny’s pancakes……i love the cake there…..

11. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy. Need i have to say more.

Syrie – Yup, everyone was so excited it was (somewhat) healthy!Valli – Thank you! Definitely true about the buttermilk. Deliciously soft.Divya Vikram – Yup – its a great recipe. Thanks dear.Raaji – πŸ™‚ Denny’s Pancakes! lol! brings back memories of early breakfast after a long night! Kitchen Flavours – πŸ™‚ Thannnnkkkkksssss!

Awesome is how these look! Especially the last picture of a pile of pancakes drizzled generously with maple syrup and looking so tempting against the white background….Whew!! Isn’t that long?I thought I had already commented on this one!! I hope it did not go on to someone else’s comment form:( Thank you, Anu for sending these to FIC brown – I was here sometime back, the day I commented on the brownies!

14. Y says:

Yum. I love that first photo! Buttermilk pancakes are the best ! πŸ™‚

Sunshinemom – you’re very welcome dear and thanks for your lovely compliments.Y – thanks for visiting. yup – love buttermilk pancakes.

16. Must try this,its made of whole wheat and egg free.Thanx for the post.

<> @ Sanctified Spaces – Sure glad you enjoyed it. <>