Having Fun With Whole Wheat Pasta

It’s so much fun to make pasta and the flavor is so much better than store-bought plus you can control what goes into it.

This time my daughter wanted to help me. I used 100% whole wheat and made the dough, adding a little olive oil (2 tablespoons of oil for 1 cup of whole wheat flour), since whole wheat has a tendency to be dry. We also added about a tablespoon of dried basil into the dough.

My daughter helped rolling it out, and then we cut up the pasta into her favorite shapes using Play-Doh cutters (nope, I don’t have cookie cutters at home – but you can use whatever you have on hand). We made moons and bears and butterflies…

Just drop into heavily salted, boiling water and cook till done (about 5-7 minutes). Drain and toss with your favorite pasta sauce or just cheese, butter and herbs. It was an easy and delicious dinner.

totally agree… and mixing spices in the dough makes it so flavourful 🙂

2. kavya is a darling and it shows in the pasta.. so cool.. i will try adding some oregano… only u can come up with such ideas na anu?

Cool! The duck looks so definite and pretty even from a distance:)

4. raaji says:

hoho playing with dough and making shapes out of them used to be my job as kid….yaa making them at home is real nice thing to do…

5. DEESHA says:

cool .. they looks soo cute

6. Sangeeth says:

very creative and fun activity

7. Cham says:

wow, that is fun if we have a kid and much easier to make them eat also!

How fun! My son and I are checking out the shapes and enjoying them as well.BTW, ever heard of fresh pasta w/o eggs? I’ve never come across a fresh pasta recipe that doesn’t call for eggs. Thanks goodness (for me) the dried kind don’t have eggs.

9. mitr_bayarea says:

So, so cute- its nice that your daughter helped too.

10. mitr_bayarea says:

So, so cute- its nice that your daughter helped too.

11. Mallika says:

Very cute (and clever). I think she’s a food blogger in the making…

So cute!! bet it was a fun activity from om and daughter:)

Raaga – Yup, it sure does.Swati – 🙂 Thanks. Oregano is a great idea.Sunshinemom – Doesn’t it! lol! I enjoyed it too!Raaji – its so much fun – wish i had been doing this as a kid!Deesha – thanks!Sangeeth – Thanks.Divya Vikram – Thanks.Cham – so true – we had lots of funBharti – I don’t recall seeing a recipe without eggs – I’ll definitely try and find oneMitr_bayarea – thanks. Mallika – hmm not sure about blogger, but definitely a foodie.Ranjani – Yes it sure was!

14. Jayashree says:

Awww…that looks so cute, Anu.

15. What a nifty idea,, Health food and fun looking you must have gotten all the cool mom points on this one eh?

16. Usha says:

Very cool…looks cute too 🙂

Jayashree – Thanks!Aparna Inguva – yup, sure did! now if only there was something I could do with veggies!Usha – thank you!

18. Your daughter would love these for their cute shapes plus the fact that she was able to help “mommy” to make them:D

19. Madhuram says:

Awesome, I love that cute little duck and butterfly.

Valli – thanks – she did love themMadhu – lol – I loved the duckie too!