Tomato Rice

The rice, delicately flavored with fresh tomatoes and spices, is lovely just as it is. Or served with a little bit of thick yogurt. A huge favorite in our family, we need to have this every once in a while as simple comfort food.

Tomato Rice

1 cup Basmati Rice
1.5 cups Water
2 Tomatoes, blanched, skinned and ground
1 Onion, sliced fine
2 Green Chillies, chopped fine
1″ piece Ginger or 1 tsp Ginger Paste
4 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Cloves
2 Cardamom pods

Grind the ginger, garlic, cloves and cardamom and keep aside.

Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the onion, chillies, ground spices and stir fry well, until the raw smell of the spices goes away, about 5-6 minutes. Add the tomato paste, water (enough water to cook the rice, taking into account the water from the tomatoes – about 1.5 cups), salt and mix well.

Cook until rice is done. Fluff with a fork. Simple and delicious spiced rice.

This is off to my dear friend, Sunshinemom of Tongue Ticklers for Food in Colours: Red.

Advertisements

1. i love tomato rice. Your version is slightly different .. looks nice .. Tomato rice always make a hearty lunch for me

2. sunshinemom says:

Coincidence! I made this too – yesterday! Don’t know when I am going to blog it:) Thanks for the red entry!

3. Beth says:

this looks perfect. i love cardamon

4. Alisha says:

This sounds so yummy… like an adult version of something I used to make when I was a poor art student. Try not to cringe…I used to put rice and tomato (or sometimes vegetable) soup (in the can, horror of horrors I know) in a rice cooker and then go to class. When I came home I had this yummy filling starchy (entirely) meal that cost under a dollar. Like I said… it’s cringe worthy now.But I love this recipe because it’s what i should have been making that whole time, if I had just been willing to take the time.

5. Tomato rice was one of our staples as grad students, apart from khichdi and sambar ofcourse. Love it. Looks bright and yummmy and spicy

sounds like the no fuss no muss kind of dish that I’m always on the hunt for! Bookmarked!Can I use brown rice with this instead of basmati?

I know how fragrant and tasty this rice is. Even my daughter, who doesn’t really like tomatoes loves this one.

9. Priti says:

Tomato Rice…ummm always ready to eat …makes perfect for any time meal

10. Jayashree says:

It’s one of the first few dishes I learnt to cook well and is a must have for us too, every once in a while.

ultimate comfort food!!loks perfect..

12. Cham says:

Beautiful color and easy confort food

Yummy! That’s right up my alley.

Thanks everyone. Ranjani, you could definitely use brown rice – it would probably give it a great nutty taste. Alisha – that does sound like something I used to do too! 😀 That stuff is pure comfort food!

Love tomato bath…yours has got nice colour and look!