Soup and Toast

If you haven’t heard of the Taste and Create event, I can only introduce it as one of the most fun events in the blogosphere. Started by Nicole of For the Love of Food, it pairs random bloggers together and you get to make something from the other person’s blog. It opens up your horizons, introducing you to some special blogs and amazing recipes.

This month I was paired with Mable Tan of Happee Monkee. She does some fantastic baking and lovely photographs. Her writing is light and interesting, and one can lose track of time reading up on her varied posts.

Lately, I’ve been trying to discover different kinds of soup, and so I had to try her Mushroom Soup with Pesto Toast. And I’m glad I did, because it was fabulous. I’m eating it right now and couldn’t wait to write about it! Slurp!

Mushroom Soup
(check here for the recipe – I made a couple of small changes)

1 cup Mushrooms, sliced (I used button)
2 cups Water
2-3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Onion, sliced
1-2 tbsp Butter

Saute the garlic and onions in the butter until soft. Add the mushrooms and allow to soften. Add the water and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Process in batches in a blender until combined. Return to heat. Season with salt and pepper.

Pesto Toast

She makes a lovely spinach and basil pesto. I used spinach, pine nuts and parmesan. Spread the pesto on toast and sprinkle with parmesan. I let it melt in a toaster oven for about 5 minutes.

The soup was so great. I know I’m going to make it very often – my daughter loved it too. And the toast was a perfect accompaniment. We are enjoying our lovely lunch. Thanks!

Advertisements

1. Nirmala says:

That looks inviting ! A perfect lunch for these rainy days

2. Sia says:

just 5 ingredients (including water) for that delicious bowl of soup? WOW….

3. SweetBites says:

Wow! a super soup I must say. Can be made in a jiffy. Love your blog.

4. Deliicious! I do miss the creamy mushroom or corn soup you would get in Indo chinese restaurants. After coming here the only soup mushroom soup I got close to is Campbells and it sucks big time. This is luverly.

5. gocbep says:

I am really interested in this 5 ingredients soup. It looks delicious and simple to cook too.

That looks like a perfect meal. Bread, cheese and soup! I haven’t tried pesto with spinach yet..good reminder. And I make a similar mushroom soup too, I just add in a small chopped potato to give it a creamier texture.

Love mushroom soup..perfect with toast..

8. farida says:

Sounds like a great way to use mushrooms. And easy too! A must try.

9. Monkee says:

Good job Arundathi! I’m glad you and your daughter loves it. You’ve made it easy and effortless too (ten times more). Good work!Mabshttp://www.mabletan.com

10. noble pig says:

Hi!This looks so wonderful! I love the flavor combination here! Nice site too!

Nirmala – Yes, isn’t it? 🙂 Sia – Yes, so incredibly easy and delicious!Sweetbites – Thanks for stopping by. It was delicious!Aparna – Thanks – do try it – its super simple and so authentic.Gocbep – Well, not counting the water, its only 4 ingredients! 🙂 And very easy to makeBharti – The original recipe has cream, which I don’t use much at home. But the potato is a great idea. Farida – Nothing better than a good bowl of soup – and this one fits the bill.Monkee – Thanks for the fabulous recipe, Mabs. I had to omit the cream because we don’t use it at home much since my daughter seems to be allergic to it. I’ve made it 3 times since then – we can’t get enough of it! 🙂Noble Pig – Thanks for stopping by. I loved your blog too!

I make this too, and just love mushroom soup! Haven’t tried the pesto till now. I just don’t seem to have enough time to blog for events though the food is all lined up – I am too caught up with ‘Fear Factor on Colors’ these days:)

13. Rajani says:

wow! you had me at mushrooms! lovely soup – and thanks for a new blog to check out!

14. Taste and Create is such a wonderful idea for an event — a great way to introduce you to recipes from all over the world. Thanks for sharing the fun with us.

15. Arfi Binsted says:

I don’t know why I was not paired for this month’s round, so I missed it. Never mind. Looking at your dish seems that you’re having fun and yes I agree, Taste and Create is a fun event!

Sunshinemom – 😀 lol – i’m gonna be there too!Rajani – very welcome. Lydia – Yes, its a lovely event! Arfi – Oh thats really unfortunate! would gladly have paired with you too!