Bombay Grilled Sandwich

I first saw this sandwich on Delhi Belle’s blog and followed her links to the Gourmet Cartographer. I ‘googled’ the sandwich and found it was very popular and a huge street food favorite. I just had to find out what the fuss was all about.

Bombay Grilled Double Decker Sandwich

3 slices Sandwich Bread (I used brown bread)
1/4 cup Chutney (grind together 1 cup cilantro leaves + 1/4 cup mint leaves + 1 green chilli + 1 tsp water)
1 Tomato, sliced thin
1 small Onion, sliced thin
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, sliced thin
1 Potato, boiled, peeled and mashed with a tsp of salt
2 tsp Chaat Masala
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated (I used Mozzarella)

Spread each slice of bread with butter on one side. Spread chutney over the butter. Sprinkle with chaat masala.

On one slice add the tomato and bell pepper slices. On the second slice, add the mashed potato and onion slices. Top both slices with the grated cheese.

Arrange the potato slice over the tomato slice (veggie sides up). Top the potato slice with the 3rd slice, chutney side down. Grill on a grill pan or use a sandwich maker. Its done when the cheese melts.

Serve with a spicy ketchup. If you can make it that far – I waited about 5 seconds before I ate it (and that was only because the cheese was so hot!). It was THAT good. Worth every word of all the fuss!

This is my submission for Waiter There’s Something In My… Picnic. If anyone is bringing this to the picnic, it’s going to be a huge hit.

I’d like to also send this to this month’s SnackShots featuring Sandwiches!

TH love sandwiches and i actually send ur link to him and said i will make it for him ๐Ÿ™‚ definitely bookmarked!

2. delhibelle says:

this looks good!next time I will also make it with brown bread.Thanks so much for trying & posting it..glad you enjoyed it:)

3. lakshmi says:

“what the fuss was all about?” for 10 bucks my stomach is full and i’ve had the yummiest sandwich i could have ever eaten. its seriously so good, when you go to bbay, you have to have to have that sandwich. ๐Ÿ˜€butter is slapped onto the bread, vegetables are piled on top on another until you think they could collapse and the cheese is so much that its melted all over the sanwich!!! its just delicious.

4. Rajani says:

oh these looks amazing, will surely surely try it out.

5. I love these samwhiches. I had them at where else Bomaby and totally totally yum and filling. Looks great! I must try.

Ahh..Bombay sandwiches are so yummy!! I’m so glad you tried it out Arundathi. Street food at it’s best! I usually use whole wheat bread too, to make this at home.

7. mmmh! what i’d give to try that! a wonderful combination of flavours, fresh and colourful! thanks for your participation in WTSIM!

8. Suma Rajesh says:

this looks gud and delicious…tempting pic

Sndwich looks delicious..

I made it just now…;.it’s fabulous:) I toasted it on my panini press…Looks beautiful:) Thanks for sharing!

11. U r sandwich is making me hungry.

12. homecooked says:

Wow….reminds me of the evenings when we used to feast on these! These look delicious!

13. Nidhi says:

Those sandwiches look Yummy…I m heading to the kitchen ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Mallika says:

Oh yes, I can vouch fr these sarnies served by a dhoti clad man outside Shoppers Stop. Soooo gooood

15. Dragon says:

Another winner!

16. I am so trying this recipe, it looks unbelievably delicious.

17. Bhavani says:

Aahhh ! Now you are talking my language.. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love sandwiches esp grilled.I can live on these ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Rosie says:

This looks so delicious.Rosie x

Thanks everyone. It was indeed a delicious sandwich – I think my favorite one as of now! Thanks, delhibelle, for the post! ๐Ÿ™‚Can’t wait to get to bbay and try the original!

lovely lovely ones Anu..I am surely going to make this next

try it, valli – i’m sure the whole family will enjoy it!

22. Alpa says:

Wow, they look just like the ones I ate everyday at Sandwizza in Bombay!

23. Alpa says:

Wow, they look just like the ones I ate everyday at Sandwizza in Bombay!

Hi,
    You have a lovely blog, can you please tell me which brand of panini maker you have used for making this double decker sandwich? I am looking to buy a panini maker which works well for double decker sandwiches

25. Anju says:

I tried this today, exact recipe, except I used cheddar and it was amazing!! Thank you!!