Brownies

How would you describe a perfect brownie? Chewy, chocolate-y and scrumptious? Then I’ve found THE perfect brownie at Cooking with Amy. In her words:

In my preferred purist version I don’t want them too dense and fudgy and I don’t want them too cakey and fluffy.

I couldn’t have said it better. I wanted a chewy cocoa brownie.

Perfect Brownies Every Time
(adapted from here)

1/2 cup Butter, melted
3/4 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
6 tbsp Cocoa
2 tbsp Oil
2 tsp Vanilla Essence

Preheat oven to 180 deg C.

Beat sugar and butter together until well blended and then add the eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition until the mixture looks smooth.

Now add the cocoa powder, vanilla essence and the oil. Mix well.

Mix the flour and the salt together. Add about 1/4 cup of the flour mixture at a time and mix well after each addition. At this point you could add about 1/2 a cup of chopped walnuts, but thats optional, and I personally want just the plain fabulous brownie.

Pour the mixture into a greased pan and bake for 20 minutes or so. Remove from oven and let it cool completely for 10 minutes. Slice into squares and serve warm with ice cream.

Life doesn’t get much better than this.

Thank you, Amy. My friends and family thank you as well (can you hear the applause and cheers? πŸ™‚ )

1. Amy Sherman says:

I’m so glad these worked as well for you as they do for me!

2. Nirmala says:

Lovely brownies ! they look really inviting and they would have dissappeard in no time right ? My version would be fudgy and more chocolatey. I made my brand of brownie by substituting half of the cocoa with ganache and it gave that creamy chewy taste. Try them next time πŸ™‚

3. homecooked says:

Hmm….yummy! Absolute heaven.

4. Beth says:

Im always on the search for the perfect brownie. Will try these little beauties!!

5. I always stick to the boxed mixes, as the ones I tried from scratch where too dry! Will definitely try this one hoping I wont boo boo it up-A

6. The brownies look really good..and so chocolaty!

7. mitr_bayarea says:

Mouth watering brownies, could also add pecans or walnuts to make it more crunchy.

I could sooooooo use one right now!They look great btw:)

9. a perfect food in a group all its own. next you’ll be making the ny times choc chip cookies…

Brownies are my weakness! They are the most indulgent of all the cakes out there if you can call them cakes. I shall give these a shot when I’m feeling indulgent πŸ˜‰

11. lakshmi says:

i made some cocoa brownies too yesterday. you know my current muffin obsession right, so i baked them in the muffin moulds LOL

12. Nidhi says:

Yet one more baking recipe bookmarked…I hope I can get down to making them soon.Your Brownies look so gud.

lovely deep colour πŸ™‚ i make this quite often but shud try this variation of the recipe as well

Thanks everyone! Yes, Amy, they definitely worked very well. We loved it. Nirmala – definitely gonna try your version too. I’m a brownie junkie.Thanks HomecookedBeth – I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Aparna – πŸ™‚ Good Luck. Dindintonight – thanks. Mitr – Great idea. Ranjani – thanks. will send some over. cook eat FRET – still wondering when to do those!Bharti – do try it! Lakshmi – wow – send me the photos!Nidhi – thank you! Nags – πŸ™‚ would love to see your variations too!

15. Divya says:

Wow…awesome brownies Arundhathi!!!I love brownies..in any form..chewy..chocolatey..fudgy..anything is welcome!!Great snaps too!!

16. Pearlsofeast says:

superb brownies.I love the rich dense colour.

17. i love brownies…i wud love them more if they had lesser calories!

18. Hima says:

Looking so delicious.

19. Laavanya says:

They look delicious & decadent – would love to sink my teeth into one (or even better two) πŸ™‚

20. yummilicious they look anu…. and u know what i finally posted about my arusuvai gifts…. πŸ™‚ and am here for a joy ride on your blog.. i missed out on so many things…

21. Rajani says:

yummy brownies! they look amazing.

Awesome pic gal..Lovely brownies..

23. Dragon says:

There is nothing better than the perfect brownie. Looks like you’ve found it.

24. Rosie says:

Absolutely sheer heaven for me – yum πŸ™‚Rosie x

thanks everyone – its now my official favorite brownie – little pieces of heaven! πŸ™‚

They looks so chocolatey, and gooey. I missed a lot, didn’t I?

27. Jude says:

Yum. Haven’t made brownies in a while so thanks for pointing us to that recipe!

Sunshinemom – Yes, you did! where’ve you been! πŸ™‚ they were delicious!Jude – Sure. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Hey have u forgotten the baking powder? Or is it just brownies without BP?? πŸ™‚

These brownies were quite dry even after following the recipe completely. It needs a tad more butter though this is the standard brownie recipe.