Pizza!

My family was ready to move out because I made pizza for 15 days straight. Sometimes twice a day. I was searching for the perfect pizza dough recipe, and my family, unwittingly became guinea pigs. Happy, satisfied guinea pigs.

Well, I finally found it at Deb’s Smitten Kitchen. I tried it for another week – yes, almost everyday – changing ingredients and quantities to see if I could improve on it. But no, it was just amazing as is. The only change I made was adding a 1/2 tsp of sugar, and some herbs to the dough (but that part is completely optional).

Perfect Pizza
recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast
1/2 cup warm Water + 2 tbsp
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp dried Herbs of choice (I used Basil)
1/2 tsp Sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the olive oil and water and combine to form a ball. Knead just until it forms a smooth dough.

Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm space until the dough has doubled in size. Remove and gently press the air out while forming the whole into a smooth ball. Cover again and leave alone for 15-20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to the maximum temperature (I heated it to 220 deg C). Roll out the dough to required thickness. I like mine thin. Add the toppings. Bake for 10 minutes.

Eat. Enjoy.

This is off to dear DK for AWED: Italian. Can’t wait for the round-up, DK!

1. Thanks to the owner of this blog. Ive enjoyed reading this topic.

2. arundati says:

looks fab!! i’m making this next…..but think i wont last as long as you did!!

3. Shreya says:

great.. awesome perfect looking pizza!:-)

4. i’m going to try this recipe nextin your other dough trials, did you ever use 00 flour?

Philippine Lottery – Thanks.Arundati – 🙂 Let me know how it turned out. This is the best recipe yet.Shreya – Thanks.cook eat FRET – do let me know how it turned out. If I’m lucky I find ingredients I need in India – its a hit or miss. But I’m positive there’s no way I’d be able to find such a specialized Italian flour! I’ve read extensively about it though, and it lends itself very well to bread and pizza dough.

6. A_and_N says:

you can say no to anything anytime in life…pizza is an exception 🙂Yours looks pro Arundathi 🙂

7. pizza looks nice .. great patience you have, for getting it perfect arundathi

you are one persistent cook Arundhati! and good for us 🙂

9. mitr_bayarea says:

Arundhati-kudos tu ur pizza making efforts for 15 days, you can now officially start an Italian restaurant.

10. Bhavani says:

all I can say is wow! I so wish you lived next door. sigh !

hey anu..bhavani says she wished she was your neighbour…I am right…so when am I going to be treated with this…you made for 15 days and you never asked me for being a guinea pig..I would’ve happily said yes!!!…bhooooo

12. live2cook says:

I love to eat pizza for anytime of a day. Wish I was one of the family member!

13. sefa firdaus says:

pizza is my fav, but up to now I’m too lazy to make it from scratch

Mm..yummy! I like that it has whole grains in it too. Looks perfect.

15. Rajani says:

that looks good!! also thanks for sharing yet another wonderful blog.

16. Nidhi says:

That is one tasty looking pizza! Pizzas for 15 days in a row…Pizza lovers paradise 🙂

Thank you everyone!Bhavani, I wish you lived next door! Miss you girl!Valli – Anytime, babe!Sefa – do try it – its absolutely worth it!

18. bee says:

smitten kitchen is one fantastic blog. and one amazing pizza. your family was ready to move out? may i move in? i can eat this thrice a day.

My sentiments exactly, Bee!

20. i like ur “thin crust” pizza..i cudnt roll mine that thin!:( n the olives look real nice !

21. D says:

This is what they calls as “Tried and Tested”. I mean who could have done a better job than you!!!!!!! This is fab anu..Love the pic and I am sitting out here feeling lazy to make lunch but hungry looking at ur pizza at the same time..Pass a piece over will you – i dont think anyone will mind at home!!! Not after 15 days of selfishly enjoying it all by themselves!!!!!!!!1 (although I dont mind the cutie pie nibbling your luscious pieces!)DK(culinarybazaar.blogspot.com)

22. 15 days straight.. u r too much anu… but i know they wud not have complained much… when we meet pizza for sure….

those are jalapenos actually, churningthewordmillDK – thank you dear! would happily pass some over. watch out for the fedex chap. Swati – definitely, babe.

24. Wow pizza looks yummmmmmmmmmy.

25. Hima says:

I love pizzas…. this variation sounds yummy……..

26. Bhavani says:

hey how do you make the pizza sauce?

I made one yesterday with wholewheat flour and ragi for a healthy dough:) These look so good, Anu!

Kitchen Flavors – Thanks! Hima – Thanks. I Love them too.Bhavani – hmm… I’ll email you the recipe – or you can get ready-made pizza sauce in the store. Or you could make it different and give it an olive oil or pesto base. Sunshinemom – wow ragi! what a great idea!! do post about it soon!

29. Nidhi says:

I finally baked! I tried your Pizza recipe. I baked it in the Microwave in Convection mode. Is that the right mode to use for baking?

Nidhi – so glad you tried it! I don’t have convection mode in my m/wave, but I’m sure that should work. How was it?

31. Nidhi says:

It came out well Arundhati, considering my first attempt. Had a lot of learnings from it as well…I did post the pics on my blog.BTW how do u bake it then?

I have a toaster oven which I use for all my baking. They are very handy.