Spicy Parotta with Eggs

Parottas are different from the popular Indian paratha. Parottas are flaky rotis or layered breads, which are originally from the state of Kerala.

In India, street vendors often sell a spicy version of these parottas called Kothu Parotta. They are shredded and then tossed with spices, vegetables, eggs and most often, meat. I have tried to make a vegetarian version here with eggs. It’s a great meal and one that is very popular in India.

Kothu Parotta with Eggs
(recipe originally from here)

5 Kerala Parottas, shredded into bite-sized pieces (frozen Kerala Parottas are sold in most Indian grocery stores. If you can’t find it, use pre-made rotis or parathas. To make the parottas, here are two links I found very helpful – Foodie’s Hope and Cinnamon Trail).

1 Onion, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
3 Eggs, beaten
2 Green Chillies, split lengthwise

1 tbsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Pepper powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Salt

3-4 Curry Leaves
Cilantro leaves, for garnish

Heat some oil in a saucepan. Toss in the curry leaves, green chillies and onions and stir fry until onions are browned. Now add the ginger-garlic paste and powders. Stir fry until the raw ginger smell disappears.

Add the tomato and stir fry until the tomato is cooked. Pour in the beaten eggs and scramble with the mixture, until 3/4 done.

Add the salt and shredded parotta and mix to combine. Garnish with cilantro leaves.

This is a complete meal in itself and extremely addictive, so eat with care!

Advertisements

we call this kothu parotta, a very popular street food item in Kerala and TN ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Kate / Kajal says:

hey i;m indian and i’m wondering how come i still havent discovered this amazing simple yet bloody amazing dish !!! U know i have to try this first thing tomorrow ! thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Jeena says:

I can see how this can be totally addictive it looks amazing!

4. Vicki says:

This looks great! It reminds me of a Mexican dish called chilaquiles, that uses tortillas, eggs, tomatoes and chiles.

This looks very interesting…never seen anything like it before!Scrambled eggs and veggies with shredded paranthas, sounds simple enough…who would have thunk it!!

6. Bhavani says:

Oh yum! I love kothu parotta can’t wait to try your recipe.So tempting Anu !!

Rightly said..Totally addictive!

8. delhibelle says:

its called roti prata in Singapore, but fried with eggs and veggies, it must be one amazing dish.

Nags – yup – i think i’ve mentioned that in my post. i’ve actually never had it on the street – but this was so good!Kate/Kajal – Yes, definitely do try it – its yummy!Jeena – lol – yes so addictive that i’ve had it 3 times this week! Vicki – oh thats true – i didn’t even think of chilaquiles. i’ve had them too – these taste a little different because of those flaky parottas, but the concept is the same.Ranjani – try it, babe. its fabulous. and super comfort food when you come need something quick and delicious.Bhavani – this recipe was perfect, B. try it – and you know you can get those frozen parottas at C Hill.Divya – ๐Ÿ™‚Delhibelle – yes, i’ve heard that. it is amazing!

10. Sig says:

oh I love kothu porotta! Amazingly I discovered it after I left India ๐Ÿ™‚

11. sra says:

Lovely! More than the mutton and chicken versions, this is what I find the tastiest, this is what I order if I feel like kothu parota. I dislike the Chinese-fied vegetarian one!

12. Shreya says:

I love kothu paratha.. wish I could have it now!

13. Latha says:

love kothu parotta! i have a really good friend here who’s from chennai who makes this for me ๐Ÿ™‚ i should try it on my own!

I’ve been seeing this dish on a lot of blogs and though I’ve had plenty of porotta, I have never had this!I think it’s time I did though.

yippppee..you have crossed 100 in readers!!!…great anu…:)and of course you know my addiction to kothu parotta…heheh

16. homecooked says:

Wow…this looks great!Very yummy ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Nidhi says:

Looks very interesting.Something for you on my blog. Check it out!

18. A_and_N says:

Oh yes! Talk about local Madras street food ๐Ÿ™‚ This has to be one of the most popular ones ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Trupti says:

paratha looks very delicious. thanks for sharing this recipe

thanks everyone. its become a huge favorite in our house, and takes only 10 minutes to make, when you have the frozen parottas.Nidhi, thanks for the tag. ๐Ÿ™‚Ranjani, would work with paranthas, but I might try to get the parottas, to make it more authentic. Parottas are from Kerala and are different from paranthas.

21. Wow, that looks great! I love stuff like this – I agree, totally addictive!

22. Lisa says:

I could eat food like this everyday. Delicious!

23. Dragon says:

Every time I come here, I learn something new. You’re the best!

24. Maheswari says:

I love kothu parotta..looks yum..i loved the muffins aswell..

25. Rajani says:

I’ve only heard of this – looks really yummy. I am saving the recipe will def. try it out whenever there’s leftover parotta.

thanks guys – yes very addictive!thanks Dragon! ๐Ÿ™‚

27. Pearlsofeast says:

Arundhati,I had once tried it in srilankan resturant and it was delicious.Thanks for sharig this.

28. finally ๐Ÿ˜€iam yet to try it….. the minute i reach my 6th roti … my hands say no … hehesoon mayb

29. Sangu says:

hi

tried it with some sumeru malabar parathas. came out nice and spicy. thq very much.

easy, quick, and filling.

keep up the good work.
    luv
    sangeetha

<>Pearlsofeast – You’re welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

Swati – I hope you tried it!

Sangu – So glad you liked it!