Yogurt Cake with Berries

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for a very long time. When I was doing a bit of “spring cleaning” yesterday, I found this and almost sprinted to the kitchen, wondering why I hadn’t bothered to make it all this while. Its one recipe where you will almost definitely have all the ingredients on hand and it promised to be delicious.

Yogurt Cake with Berries
(original recipe from here)

2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
a handful of mixed berries

Preheat oven to 180 deg. C.

Combine yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil in a bowl until completely mixed.

Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients gradually until well combined. Sprinkle the berries on top – they will gradually sink into the cake as it bakes.

Pour into a round tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Absolutely perfect, soft and delicious.

This is also off to dear Siri for her Yogurt event – can’t wait for the round-up!

Advertisements

anu..that sounds so simple and nice…:)

2. perfect haaan… garg would love it.. he loves blueberry muffins like mad…

3. Pearlsofeast says:

Arundhati, I had lunch and just checking the Toi for updates.Oh my god I was going crazy to have ur cake,I can imagine what it must be tasting with the delicious berries it in.Great.

4. SMN says:

such simple and yummy looking cake must be tasting great

I have to try it πŸ™‚ I’m sure fresh fruit will work very well too πŸ™‚

6. delhibelle says:

Utterly gorgeous! Saw the original recipe too..love how everything is measured in cups!

Thank you, everyone! πŸ™‚Raaga, I’m sure it’ll taste great with any kind of fruit – something tart might be nicer though.

8. Asha says:

PERFECT cake!! Good job girl!:))

9. A&N says:

Pramaadhamana cake Arundhati! I really like the way the ‘sides’ are so well done. If I may ask, what kind of baking dish do you use?

10. Bhawana says:

Wow I liked this one. Very simple, tasty and good looking :)). I am very fond of eating cakes like this. will try this one. nice post.

You’re just teasing now with all your scrumptious pics! I’m always ravenous after visiting:)Looks great as all your food always does.

I am sure that kitchen of yours is smelling divine – what with double chocolate cookies and cakes!

13. Madhavi says:

WOW cake looks great, simple and tasty. Great entry!!!!

14. Mansi Desai says:

that looks lovely Arundhati! I like yogurt in my cakes too..made one recently with pears and almonds:) makes it so much more moist and healthier!:)

15. Jeena says:

Fantastic recipe it would go perfect with a nice cup of tea. πŸ™‚

16. DK says:

Simple and delicious. Would def try this one πŸ™‚

17. lakshmi says:

it looks perfectly moist. this has been duly bookmarked.

18. arundati says:

babes!! looks awesome….love the grain and texture you’ve captured in the pic of the slice!!

Thank you so much, everyone! It really was delicious – and so easily adaptable to different fruit and flavors – I’m sure some lemon zest would work very well too. A&N – I use a very old regular round baking pan! I bake in a toaster oven (don’t have a regular oven), so its pretty small as well…

20. Vibaas says:

Arundathi, Looks delicious! πŸ™‚ I think i’m gonna give this and the cookies a try for sure!

21. Jude says:

Looks delicious and really easy to make. So many different possibilities for berry toppings

Vibaas – do let me know how it turns out! Jude – Yes, the possibilities are endless! Thanks.

23. Sumi says:

Hi Arundathi, tried your cake today.Came out delicious.But the top become tad bit crisper.May be my cake pan is little big bigger, I should take it out 5 minutes earlier.All in all the cake was perfect.Waiting for my son to grow up and have all these goodies. :)Will post the picure in my blog over the weekend.Thanks for the recipe

24. Madhu says:

Hi,First time on your blog..The cake looks simple n awesome.I was waiting for such a recipe..Thanks for it πŸ™‚By the way,i have to mention that your blog is very informative.I live in India and i find it very difficult for many exotic ingredients..your 100th post saved me.Thanks again!

<> @ Sumi – You’re very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it!@ Madhu – Glad to help. Thanks! Hope the recipe works for you!<>

It is certainly interesting for me to read the post. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

It was very interesting for me to read that article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).

You know what, use Bluetooth blocker to block all secret devices in your room or at work.