Lentil Salad

I make this healthy salad for breakfast atleast 2-3 times a week. I’ve experimented with different kinds of sprouts and lentils, and each one has such unique tastes that it’s not really possible to pick a favorite.

I’ve found the easiest lentils to sprout, though, are the Green Gram lentils and the Turkish Gram or Moth lentils. They take an average of 16-24 hours in the hot Chennai weather, so I’m assuming a little longer in other parts of the world. For more on sprouting lentils, please see here.

Quick and Easy Lentil Salad

1 cup Sprouted Lentils of your choice (I used Green Gram sprouts, which are super healthy and delicious)
1/2 cup Cucumber, skinned and chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1 Onion, chopped (optional – I prefer shallots or spring onions – they lend a less intense flavor)
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Dressing: I used a chutney made of grinding together green chillies, cilantro and gram dal (also known as pottu kadalai).

Combine all the above and enjoy a healthy and tasty meal.

This is off to Lisa at the Vegetarian Kitchen for No Croutons Required’s Soups and Salads, which features lentils this month.

1. Happy cook says:

Tgis is indeed a vry healthy salade.The plate looks so full of freshness

2. Siri says:

Sprouts + spicy green chutney –> Y.U.M.M.O.. what else can we can ask for.. nice looking salad Anu..:DHugs,Siri

3. Rachel says:

I posted a similar one…love your version of the dressing!

4. Devi Priya says:

I have just made this salad for lunch. But for dressing I just use lemon juice, salt and pepper to keep it simple. That way kids get to eat it too without fuss.

5. Simran says:

What a brilliant idea for a protein rich breakfast!

6. Sig says:

Nice plating Arundathi..and hats off to you for eating such healthy stuff in the morning!

7. ranji says:

such a cool and refreshng salad anu..very healthy too:)

Happy cook – Yup – can’t get much healthier! 🙂Siri – Thanks 🙂Rachel – loved your version too – just checked it out.Devi Priya – Thats great that your kids love the sprouts. Simran – thanks 🙂Sig – lol – thanks – my humble attempt to get a healthy start to the day!Ranji – yup, it is!

9. Lisa says:

Thanks for your entry this month! I don’t usually serve lentils for breakfast, but this is no doubt a very satisfying start to the day!

Lisa – you’re welcome! I start the day with lots of protein which keeps me full for a long time and gives me lots of energy! 🙂

11. Ivy says:

I saw your recipe from the round up. Sounds delicious.

Ivy – thanks so much – I have to go check the round-up!