Spinach with Corn

This is dedicated to a dear friend. She recently started to cook. And she has slowly started to enjoy it, but is still afraid of the “unknown” ingredients and “cooking techniques”.

And then I began to think what she would definitely need in her kitchen – its a clean slate as far as Indian cooking is concerned. What would one who was cooking everday Indian food, absolutely need in the kitchen? What are the spices? vegetables? grains?

I came up with this list:

Mustard seeds
Cumin

Turmeric powder
Chilli powder
Tamarind
Green Chillies
Garlic
Ginger
Dals: Urad, Toor, Masoor and Moong

Is that a fair list? What is the bare minimum you have to have in your kitchen at all times?

And then I went to the recipes part of it. I found the 10 recipes that I took with me to the US, as a student, were invaluable. I’ve posted two of them before: Spicy Potatoes and Bell Pepper with Gram Flour. This is a 3rd recipe. It’s so easy that its almost a no-brainer, but the flavors blend so well together and everyone always enjoys it.

Spinach with Corn

1 bunch Spinach, cleaned and chopped
1 cup Corn, cooked
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt, to taste

In a saucepan, heat a little bit of oil. Add the mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter, add the cumin. Brown for a minute. Add the spinach and salt and cook until it begins to wilt. Now add the corn and mix well.

That’s about it. And it’s always a hit!

This is off to Shriya of Spicy Tasty’s Fortune Cooking Contest. This is my favorite way of eating greens.

So here we are at the end of the Recipe Marathon – it was one of the most fun events I’ve taken part in. Not only did we manage to cook up something everyday and post about it (which, you must admit, is a HUGE feat!), we also managed to find lovely friends in such a short time. If anyone has any doubt of whether to join this the next time around, I hope you won’t hesitate – it really was so much fun. Now onto the food!

DK made fantastic sabudana vadas – oh-so-delicious! Divya made mattar paneer – an all-time favorite. Swati professed her love for…eggs.
Check out Siri’s and Bhags’ contribution. Lakshmi made some great looking rice. Raaga posted tons and tons of recipes! Ranji made a refreshing watermelon juice. Valli used the entire ridgegourd!

1. srivalli says:

Great looking dish anu!…so green

2. Rachel says:

I love the second pic….a feast to the eye

3. Nithu says:

Hi Arundathi, thanks for participating in our contest. We wish u a good luck. Photos are good and looks yummy.

4. Jayashree says:

Onions are a must have in my kitchen….I probably wouldn’t know what to cook if there were no onions.

5. lakshmi says:

ok so here go additions which i think are basicflours: rice flour, wheat flour, corn flour – AP flour and besan in smaller quantities since they don’t stay long – i also keep ragi, bajra and jowarmisc: wheat rava, poha, sabudana, pastas and noodles(so one doesn’t scratch head for breakfast)spices: fenugreek, coriander seeds, red chilliesrice: idli khar rice, sona masoori/ ponni/ rosematta (one daily rice of choice), basmati – i also keep red rice and forbidden rice

6. delhibelle says:

hey, my blog has a lil something for you..

Thanks ValliRachel – thank you!Nithu – Happy to contributeJayashree – Yes, of coz, onions are a mustLakshmi – do you really have these in your kitchen at all times? That’s amazing – your kitchen is way better stocked than mine. she’ll kill me if i tell her to stock bajra and jowar and 4 kinds of rice! ๐Ÿ™‚ But thanks – I think I’ll follow your advice for myself! ๐Ÿ™‚Delhibelle – Oooh — going over there right now…. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. ranji says:

spinach with corn looks awesome anu!!!…delicious combo..never tried it but sounds wondeful and healthy too…I t was a pleasure knowing u Anu..i really had a wonderful time running the marathon with u ppl:)

That sounds like a good start-up list Arundathi. Also may be some ready made powders like sambar/rasam/garam masala ? I also use hing frequently, but it surely is not a must have. Spinach and corn sounds yumm..

10. bhags says:

The first pic is very nice, and the list is good for starting up….

Ranji – it was a pleasure running with you, too! and thanks!Priya – thanks for the ingredient list – i completely forgot about the powders!! and thanks!Bhags – thanks! i liked the first pic too!

12. Sig says:

That is a good list Arundathi, I’d add coriander powder and some whole spices like cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Though these might be just necessary for non-veg cooking, if your friend is a vegetarian, she could skip these. BTW since you have listed chilies and ginger-garlic, how about adding onions/shallots to the list? ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Zuleika says:

Anu, you are the best!!! Thank you all so much too, its nice to know that you have taken some time out to help with the kitchen set-up list!!I guess no more excuses for ordering out now.

This looks yummy and light at the same time!I make a similar dish but I add saute’d bell peppers and crumbled feta cheese and spoon it over toast.Going to try your version soon!

Sig – thanks – forgot about the onions/shallots. and she’s most def a non-veggie. and thanks for thinking of the spices – i just didnt want to scare her off!Zu – Anything to get a home-cooked meal, babe! ๐Ÿ˜‰ yes, no more ordering out!!Ranjani – ooh yours sounds lovely – feta and bell peppers – have to come and check that out!

16. Nupur says:

Your spinach with corn is mighty tasty! I made it for the “less is more” event ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Nupur – so glad you tried it and liked it! ๐Ÿ™‚

18. I love corn and spinach.. this recipe looks yummy.. a different way to make our traditional recipes of making greens!!Love it..I make spinach corn sandwich..though this looks more healthy;)

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.

20. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my comment.
    I donโ€™t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
    I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    By the way,
    Blogger how when you visit my blog,
    My Blog have been created for the satisfaction of consumer of all.