Cook-up Rice

I tried, tasted and tried again. Yup – you read right – I experimented with the recipe…and I shouldn’t have. Zlamushka’s Tried and Tasted event this month features Cynthia’s blog, Tastes like Home. I got the recipe for Cook-up Rice (a national dish of Guyana) from Cynthia a while ago, and have been meaning to make it.

Her recipe uses coconut milk, parboiled rice, veggies and black-eyed peas. One evening, everyone was really tired and I wanted a one-dish meal and I thought of this one. I didn’t have black-eyed peas and wasn’t planning to go out and get some, so I checked the Cook’s Thesaurus and it said I could substitute Pigeon Peas (Toor Dal). And I used brown rice instead of parboiled (again, just lazy).

It was … um… let’s just say I decided to follow her recipe next time.

So I made it again the next day. This time, I got the black-eyed peas and I used rosematta rice. And it came out perfectly! Thanks, Cynthia, we are going to make this very often. And the black-eyed peas are a MUST – do not substitute it!!

Cook-up Rice

First brown some onions in a pan and add the black-eyed peas (the peas need to be soaked beforehand). Now add some water and cover and let it cook until the peas are almost done.

Add the veggies and a chopped tomato (I used peas and carrots, but you can use any combination you’d like). Saute for a minute or two.

Then add the rice and continue to stir for a few minutes. She suggests adding thyme, but I didn’t have thyme and so I added a seasoning blend that contained thyme!

Now add coconut milk. I added about a 1/2 cup at a time – waited for it to be absorbed into the rice before adding the next 1/2 cup. That way I could control how much the rice was cooked. Stop when the rice is cooked but not mushy.

Definitely a keeper. Thanks for the recipe, Cynthia – this has truly been tried and tasted!

Let’s see what the other Recipe Marathoners are up to:
Swati had a leg disaster. Valli got away with mango noodles. DK went to Morocco. Siri made rice. Lakshmi made kootu. Ranji made some authentic Kerala food. Bhags got hummused. Divya got some spicy green action going. No desserts today, sorry.

Advertisements

1. umm looks interesting… like d way u tried having a close look of each ingredient in d click…

2. Siri says:

Nice try Anu!..Yup! some recipes ask for those ‘perfect’ ingredients.. for the real taste to come out! Thanks for sharing ur experiments with us!..I will be back home today..and have cart load of events to catch up with incl T&T!.:DHugs,Siri

3. jayasree says:

Interesting recipe. Oh u had patience to cook those black eyes peas and rosematta in pan. I think I will take the pressure cooker way.

4. lakshmi says:

with all that coconut milk – gotta taste good. will make for lunch tomorrow.

5. bhags says:

nice recipe and love those pics….the recipe seems to be very interesting with coconut milk….P.S. That story was hilarious…..and i think everyone shud try it on their husbands:)

6. Rachel says:

Wow you tried all over again….that is the spirit… 🙂

Traits of a perfectionist:) Keep going, girl!

8. ranji says:

lovely step by step instructions anu!!!delcious..i loved the last clcik on the spoon….never seen sucha a long eliptical shape spoon..very cute:)

9. Hetal says:

This looks lovely and the step by step instructions is gr8!!

10. Sangeeth says:

great instructions….lovely recipes…i do agree thers lot to try at cynthya’s

@ Swati – Thanks!@ Valli – Thanks!@ Siri – We’re looking fwd to having you back!@ Jayasree – It was easier in the pan let me tell you. The pressure cooker makes it too soft. In the pan you can control the cooking. @ Laks – let me know if you do@ Bhags – Thanks! Yes, wasn’t the story too funny? I still laugh thinking about it!@ Rachel – 🙂 lol, what can i say – the photos were horrid! 😉@ Sunshine – LOL! Thanks! @ Ranji – thanks – love my spoon too – its a gravy spoon that came with a set of serving spoons that I bought.@ Hetal – thanks!@ Sangeeth – yeah, i couldn’t decide on just one.

12. Cham says:

Another protein rice, love the idea of making with rice

13. Sandeepa says:

Do not have many recipes with black eyed beans, this one looks like a keeper. Can I not use the c. milk ?

Adding black eyed beans sounds interesting..Healthy one..

15. Uma says:

yummy rice! lovely pics.

16. Sagari says:

nice recipe with beautiful pics

Cham – yes definitely lots of protein from the black-eyed peas. Sandeepa – yes, definitely. i’ve tried it several times after with just water and it tastes fine – obviously a lot richer with the coconut milk. Divya – yeah – cynthia has some great recipes.uma – thanksSagari – thanks!

18. Pixie says:

Hi Arundathi,thanks for letting me know about the reader-hope it’s all sorted nowi’ll have to have a proper read of your post another time as i’m still a bit sleepypix

19. Homecooked says:

This looks so good! And beutiful pics.

20. zlamushka says:

Hi A,Lovely entry. I am so glad you made that already twice, isnt it lovely to discover some great recipes just next door? Thank you so much for participating.

Pixie – yes, the reader’s all sorted out now! Homecooked – thanks!Zlamushka – yes, i’m so glad i “discovered” cynthia’s blog – its just fabulous!

22. Kanwar says:

Looks awesome. Shall be dinner on Sat. Will post again.

23. Cynthia says:

I love what you have done with the dish and your rice is perfectly cooked! So yummy!Thank you for participating!

Thanks, Kanwar. Let me know how it turned outCynthia – It’s all your recipe, Cynthia – it totally rocks. We have this very often now. Thank You!

25. Archana says:

Arundathi- lovely recipe and thanks to cynthia. This would be a perfect recipe for the event I am hosting – ONE DISH MEAL EVENT – I would love for you to participate. The details are at the link belowhttp://www.archanaskitchen.com/2008/uncategorized/monthly-one-dish-event-meals/

Interesting post you got here. It would be great to read more concerning that theme. Thanks for giving that material.

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

vimax pills – good blog friends! Post your article which is also useful for readers and to share information or experiences you have. I will visit your blog again. penis enlargement pills

They are becoming the enhancement option of choice for many men for several reasons. vimax pills is the best penis enlargement pills on the market today.more info visit http://www.male-sexual.com/vimax-pills.html