Mango Salsa

Mango Madness is right … more like Mad that there aren’t any mangoes yet! I guess according to the mangoes, summer hasn’t truly begun (the weather begs to differ…!). I bought one mango, fully ripened at Rs. 20 (about $0.50), which is still a lot for a mango – just because I couldn’t wait any longer. And I used it to make this mango salsa!!

So here goes a precious mango over to Arundati at Escapades for her WBB’s Mango Madness. Hopefully, by the time the round-up happens, there’ll be lots of mangoes in the market to use! WBB was originally started by Nandita at Saffron Trail.

Mango Salsa for Breakfast

For the Salsa:
1.5 cups ripe Mango, diced
1 red Onion, chopped
1 Cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Hot Sauce (I used Sriracha)
Salt and Pepper, to taste

For the Wrap:
3-4 Rotis/ Chapattis or Tortillas
3-4 Eggs, scrambled soft

Mix everything together for the salsa. Let it rest covered in the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour for the flavors to combine.

To assemble, just lay some eggs in the middle of a tortilla. Cover with mango salsa. Enjoy.

Didn’t realize that mango salsa would taste good with eggs – it does! The only thing I would change next time is to dice the mango and the cucumber a little smaller.

That bowl of salsa looks tempting Arundathi! My parents came here a week back and were also complaining abt the lack of mangoes in the market. But my uncle emailed us just last night saying that Hyderabad markets are now selling ripe mangoes for Rs.15 a dozen/kilo (??) I think 😦 I miss the summer ‘mango diets’ when I was there 😦

2. Sharmi says:

Hi, thanks so much for dropping by, planning to blog soon. I was drooling at some of the dishes in ur blog:)

Priya – I hope the mangoes will appear soon enough…let’s see!Sharmi – Love your blog. Looking forward to your next post. Thanks! 🙂

4. shriya says:

Wow those are really yummy salsa. I’ll try this soon. Delicious recipe.

I think I am getting addicted to your blog, I check it almost everyday and its always met with a rumble in my belly!I’m whining for a mango now….!

6. Cham says:

I can only eat salsa without wrap …Lovely entry

7. Uma says:

lovely salsa!

looks awesome..me yet to buy mangoes..Why dont u send this to AWED:Mexican hosted by Dhivya Too

9. TBC says:

o.k.. this just made me laugh…“To assemble, just lay some eggs in the middle of a tortilla.”I had a stupid image in my head.:DI’ll come back when I’m feeling better.:)

10. sowmya says:

salsa looks great…

11. Sandeepa says:

Mmmmmmmmmmm…mango with eggs, trying to imagine the taste, the salsa by itself is definitely killing

12. arundati says:

Dear Namesake…..sorry for being a late latif and getting here just now!! looks fabulous and thanks for the entry!! see you at the round up!!

13. Jayashree says:

I like the pic of the stuffed roti with the salsa peeking out…

Anu..that looks fantastic man…can’t imagine mangoes with onions..but the pictures are so very yummy!..:)

Lovely salsa.Mangoes are a bit on the expensive side this year. Unseasonal rains spoiled the crop and hence the shortage of mangoes.

16. Jamie says:

That looks great Arundathi. When are mangos in season there where you live?

17. kamala says:

THis is one different arundathi…Mangoes with onions.But looks yummy.

18. SpiceLove says:

Hi Arundhati, the mango salsa looks yummy and tempting. Thanks a lot for this great recipe! I will prepare this at home shortly, as I simply love eating mangoes.

19. Priyanka says:

I had the same thing for breakfast yesterday- the only difference was my mango salsa was right of the bottle…..a quick no-fuss recipe…

@ Shriya – Thanks!@ Ranjani – that comment really made my day! Hope you got the mango! 🙂@ Cham – Its lovely without the wrap too! @ Uma – Thanks!@ Divya – I think I might be too late to send it for AWED. 😦 @ TBC – Haha!! Didnt even realize when I was writing it! lol! @ Sowmya – Thanks!@ Sandeepa – Ya well, I didnt think it would taste good together – but its not bad at all!@ Arundati – Thanks! Can’t wait!@ Jayashree – Thanks!@ Valli – Do try it! Its very nice!@ Aparna – Yeah, aren’t they though? Crazy prices!@ Jamie – They’re usually in season in the “summer” – which ranges from May to July. Thanks!@ Kamala – It tastes yummy too!@ SpiceLove – Good! Do let me know if you liked it!@ Priyanka – yup! was quick – no need for that bottle anymore! 🙂

21. krish says:

Nice one Thanks! Here is info on the real salsa ;)On Friday evening Chennai swung to the beats of Latin music at the Salsa Concert. The Indian Council for Cultural relations and The Embassy of Columbia together organized a music concert by the band Chocquibtown as part of the Second Colombian Cultural Week in India. Chocquibtown has been nominated for the Grammy Award in the category of Best Latin American Band in 2009.The band was great and had the audience dancing and swaying to the music almost right from the beginning of the performance. I was there and had a brilliant time! If you feel you missed out on this one.. then you may read HERE about the show for a better insight. Have fun !