Beautiful Banana Bread

This is for Not Quite Nigella’s Banana Bread Bake-off. Thanks for hosting this – I can’t wait to see the round-up!

I’ve made this banana bread a half dozen times, and just don’t tire of it. Not being much of a baker, I loved this when I realized there was no yeast to work with (yeast and I have a hate-hate relationship). I immediately thought of these as party favors for the Chennai Bloggers Meet (always nice to have something sweet to take home).

I had never baked them in individual portions before, but that turned out to be a breeze. I just bought little aluminium foil loaf-ish pans, and baked them two at a time (leaving a little space for the bread to rise).

Banana Bread with Walnuts (makes 4 small-ish servings)

3 medium Bananas, cut into small pieces
2 Eggs
1 1/4 All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Melted Butter
Salt, to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
In a bowl, combine the sugar and butter until creamy.
Add the banana a couple of pieces at a time.
Add the eggs, AP flour, salt and baking soda and mix well till combined.
Add the chopped walnuts.

Pour into the loaf pans

Bake for 45-50 minutes.

And Voila!

I packed them up and was all set to go off and meet my new friends! And I was left with a home smelling of lovely freshly baked bread!

1. Anupama says:

Simply beautiful Arundathi. Those baked loaves look so enticing. I bake this one very often too. And normally it lasts only one day. My hubby and my son can’t have enough of it. Actually neither can I:)

what a coincidence! Check out my blog.

3. Jamie says:

Wow, you have been busy! These look too good to eat. I have found that the bananas in India are much smaller and tons more flavorful than the ones in the States. I bet your banana bread is really great!

4. Mallugirl says:

beautifully presented. i wouldn’t mind getting one of those!

5. Rachel says:

Loved the bread and the adorable package…I can vouch for the taste..loved the crunchiness the walnuts added..

Thanks for stopping by Anupama. Thank goodness I made it for other people – it lasts about a 1/2 hour in my house!Raaga – thats quite a coincidence and happy birthday! πŸ™‚Jamie – yup – the meet definitely kept us busy! you are right about the taste of the bananas, though the only way I can eat bananas is this way! lol!Mallugirl – here you go! πŸ˜‰

Thanks Rachel – I’ve tried it both ways, and yes the walnuts definitely make it better!

8. Cham says:

Beautiful ,the final wrap up is gorgeous too πŸ™‚

9. Bhavani says:

good entry.looks very yummy πŸ™‚

@ Cham, Bhavani – Thanks! πŸ™‚

11. TBC says:

The bread look very soft and moist. At one point this was all I made when I had rotting bananas.:-)My current fav is orange bread.

12. kamala says:

I feel the banana flavour right out of the oven arundathi.Nice one to share

The bread ooks heavenly!

14. Mansi Desai says:

Ooh! that looks great girl! I toot baked chocolate-banana bread and blogged about it today:)

@ TBC – orange bread? mmm sounds delicious!@ kamala, divya – thanks!@ mansi – just saw your recipe – sounds delicious!

16. Pixie says:

Hi arudundathi,I can never tire of eating banana breads; I have plenty on my blog lol they’re so easy and wonderful to have with a cup of tea!Looking forward to you baking along with us!Pixie

Thanks Pixie – this is something I’ve been looking fwd to – Good Luck to you! And can’t wait to get started! πŸ™‚

this was good!…didnt know it is so easy!

Valli – yup – that’s my sole reason for trying it out!

20. Red Chillies says:

What could ever go wrong when bananas are added to make a bread right? Looks beautiful Arundathi.

21. Bharathy says:

Missed you the day of the meet, 😦the banana bread was tooooooooooooooooooo good :)moist and puuurffect! πŸ™‚…my daughter was finishing it off too quickly and I had to grab a piece to taste!,..will def try, sweetie!..Loved the way you packed too..:)

missed you too bharathy! i was really looking fwd to meeting you – definitely next time! thanks about the bread – am glad you got some too – wasn’t sure if you were gonna make it or not! atleast i got to see you in the photos which was great!

yum!Those look really good. You can box them and sell those!I need to start baking. I’m so impatient with measuring ingredients:(

Ranjani – i used to be able to cook only with exact recipes. I’ve become much better now and wing it a little bit – but definitely don’t just wing it! Thanks! πŸ™‚

Hey! I will let you know when I visit Chennai…and LET’S MEET! I wouldn’t mind having that great loaf…;)

It shall be waiting for you!…

27. Bharathy says:

Tried today and posted just now for MBP-Fruit Fare-Thanx a bunch for the lovely recipe!!Came out perfect!!:)

Bharathy – thats so great! thanks!

jus saw the post on my sister’s blog and wanted to try it out this weekend. just a question, any particular type of banana to keep in mind? i have the normal long-ish yellow ones. wait let me image search. yep, these ones:http://www.stlucia.gov.lc/pr2000/images/bananas1.jpgwill they work? please do email or drop a comment on mine if you have time πŸ™‚ naagu.v@gmail.com

Nags – Any banana works. Make sure its very very ripe – black and squishy (not gone bad obviously). Good Luck – you seriously can’t go wrong with this one – it’ll taste delicious!

I tried this recipe and it came out just wonderful.this is the first ever baking experience for me πŸ™‚ tfs this wonderful recipe.P

P – you are welcome – glad it worked out.

33. hi, i am a new visitor here… your banana bread looks really yummy… thinking of making it… a few doubts.. what type of banana should we use? can we use the entire banana without removing the black seed like stuff inside? pls clarify…….

The green heart – Yes you can use the black seeds – just make sure the banana is very very ripe – any yellow banana should work. Thanks for stopping by!

35. ANI says:

Ahh – My favorite recipe. I am damn sure that I would not get an easier and simpler recipe to try…ima gonna give it a shot!

Ani – thanks for stopping by. Do give it a shot and let me know what you think!

37. ANI says:

Yep – I tried and i think I passed with distinction, I added a little more flour, so it turned out less sweet. But it was great.. we finished most of it the same evening. Thanks very much for sharing the recipe.:)

Ani – Glad you liked it πŸ™‚

39. Dee says:

Wow, looks yummy..must try.

@ Dee – Thanks. Do try it. It's delicious! πŸ™‚

It is rather interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

42. workhard says:

Makes a lovely holiday gift right????

Looks very delicious…

Work from home India

You know what, try GSM jammer to disable all secret transmitters in your home or at work.

Hi Arundathi!
    I love reading/making/seeing your recipes!:) I tried out the bread and it came out quite well..but i have 2 things to ask you
    1)the bread was done in just 30min though i set it to the tmp that u had mentioned.I couldnt have kept it in longer as i would have ended up with burnt bread!
    2)I also felt that it was slightlyy sticky when i stored in a box after completely cooling it off. Is that how it is supposed to be?
    Kindly let me know:)
    thanks!!!

45. Rupa says:

hmm i feel 45 – 50 mins for baking this bread is way too much esp when u bake in mini loaf pans its like baking muffins around 20 to 25 mins only usually.
    Are u sure about the bake time ?
    awaiting your reply
    – Rupa

actually if you bake the batter in smaller quantities like mini loaf pans, then the baking times will be less.
    If you bake the entire batter in one pan, the timing will be 45 mts.
    Just bake until the top is set and golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

47. bins says:

hi arundhati,

i must have made this heavenly bread a dozen times…it's like a no fail recipe!thanks for posting this…actually my interest to bake cakes stemmed from the success of baking this bread…so thanks for that too